Work on Writing REVAMPED!



Hi Friends… Long time…no write!  Sorry!  Working full-time…teenage twins….sports…TPT… there are not enough hours in the day..sheesh!  Anywho… I just wanted to share with you how I revamped my Work on Writing Station this year and how this station has become an absolute FAVORITE during our  Daily 5 rotations.

Last year, I found that midway through the year, my students were BORED to tears with the same old activities day in and day out, so I knew I needed to revamp this part of my Daily 5 Rotations.

Here is what my Work on Writing Station looks like this year….

daily 5

One of the first things that I did, was create two different resources that completely CHANGED my Work on Writing Station.  I created my Themed-Shaped Writing Templates and my Writing Tab-Its!  Not only that… But I added a wonderful resource created by Mel-D from Suesstastic Classroom Inspirations  called The Ultimate Writing Station…which you can see on the bulletin board with the pink borders.  She added some adorable activities in this writing bundle and my kiddos can't get enough of them :)

These three additions completely changed the vibe in this station and my kiddos can wait to get there!

First up… Every week I have a "MUST-DO" activity and "CAN-DO" activities.  This helped my students not always choose the same activity week after week.  Here is a picture of it…and you can pick this up as a FREEBIE at the end of my post.

Daily 5

As you can see on the image above it says "MUST-DO"  2015 Booklet…then I give them some direction on what to write about.  This resource comes from my Theme-Shape Writing Templates.  Here are some images of my students' work from this year.  There are two to four different templates for each month of the school year.  What I love about these templates is that they are open-ended and it allows me the flexibility to give my students different writing prompts and choices for the writing activity inside.


The second resource that I created were my Writing Tab-Its!  LOVE…. I tell ya!  Not only do I LOVE them, but my students do as well.  This resource is jam-packed with writing goodness!  Here are some completed Writing Tab-Its that my kiddos completed this year…


Honestly, these changes to my Work on Writing Station were a HUGE HIT!

After they complete the MUST-DO writing activity for the week, then I let them choose a CAN-DO activity from Mel's awesome Ultimate Writing Station.  This resource is jam-packed with yummy goodness too… holy cannoli…she is one talented teacher :)  Her kiddos must have a BALL in her classroom :) 

If you want to check any of these resources out, click the images below




And here is a FREEBIE for your Writing Station…


Thanks so much for stopping by!